I’d estimate anywhere from 1 to 5 hours would be the norm but it’s possible for it to take up to 12 hours. Make sure you erase everything securely before selling it so the buyer can’t recover your saved passwords.
Also the question is, is it okay to factory reset MacBook pro? When you’re looking to sell or trade-in your computer, whether it’s an iMac or a MacBook, it’s a good idea to return it to its factory settings. This means factory resetting the computer and re-installing the latest macOS software.
Frequent question, how do I completely reset my MacBook pro to factory settings? Shut down your Mac, then turn it on and immediately press and hold these four keys together: Option, Command, P, and R. Release the keys after about 20 seconds. This clears user settings from memory and restores certain security features that might have been altered.
In this regard, is it bad to factory reset your Mac? However, the only time you should definitely do it is when you’re about to sell or give away the machine. If you do a factory reset, you’re politely preparing the MacBook Pro for the new user — and you’re also guaranteeing that there’s nothing of yours left on it.
Considering this, how do you delete everything off a Mac?
- Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until the startup options window comes up.
- When the Utilities window appears, select Disk Utility.
- In the sidebar, choose Macintosh HD.
- Click the “Erase” button, then select a file system format and enter a name for it.
- Restart your Mac and hold down the “Command” and “R” keys during startup until you Mac is in Recovery Mode.
- Select “Disk Utility” and click “Continue”
- Choose your main startup disc (named “Macintosh HD” by default) and click “Unmount”
How do I do a factory reset?
- 1 Tap Settings
- 2 Tap General Management.
- 3 Tap Reset.
- 4 Tap Factory data reset.
- 5 Tap RESET.
- 6 Tap DELETE ALL. Please be patient as phone resetting takes some time.
- 1 Tap Apps > Settings > Backup and reset.
- 2 Tap Factory data reset > Reset Device > Erase Everything.
How do I factory reset my MacBook Pro 2010?
As it’s loading hold the Command button and the R key. Something will come up called OS X Utilities. Click on Disk Utility and click on “Mac OS Extended”. Then, click Erase.
How do I reset my MacBook Air to factory settings 2015?
- Click Disk Utility.
- Click Continue.
- Click View > Show All Devices.
- Select your hard drive and click Erase.
- In the Format field, choose the APFS option on macOS High Sierra or later. On macOS Sierra or earlier, choose the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) option.
- Click Erase.
Is factory reset bad for your computer?
Factory resets aren’t perfect. They don’t delete everything on the computer. The data will still exist on the hard drive. Such is the nature of hard drives that this type of erasure doesn’t mean getting rid of the data written to them, it just means the data can no longer be accessed by your system.
What are the benefits of a factory reset?
- It is easy.
- Restoring your Factory settings, your phone will perform better.
- Your Android device becomes faster.
- Free up space on your device.
- It can be done remotely.
- Extremely useful in situations when your phone is lost or stolen.
- Helps in trouble-shooting measures.
Will a factory reset speed up my laptop?
The short term answer to that question is yes. A factory reset will temporarily make your laptop run faster. Though after some time once you start loading up files and applications it could return to the same sluggish speed as before.
How do I wipe my Mac clean and start over?
How do I delete a Mac user account?
- On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups. Open Users & Groups preferences for me.
- Select the user or group you want to delete, then click the Remove button (looks like a minus sign) below the list of users.
- Do one of the following:
- Click Delete User.
How do you wipe a computer clean to sell it?
- Open Settings.
- Tap System and expand the Advanced drop-down.
- Tap Reset options.
- Tap Erase all data.
- Tap Reset Phone, enter your PIN, and select Erase Everything.
How do I restore my MacBook Pro 2011 to factory settings without CD?
- Set the MacBook Pro to restart.
- Select “Disk Utility” from the next screen and click “Continue.” Choose your hard drive in the list and click “Erase.”
- Click the “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)” option in the new dialog.
What are the disadvantages of factory Reset?
But if we reset our device because we noticed that its snappiness has slowed down, the biggest drawback is the loss of data, so it is essential to backup all your data, contacts, photos, videos, files, music, before resetting.