Shut down your Mac, then turn it on and immediately press and hold these four keys together: Option, Command, P and R. Release the keys after about 20 seconds. This will clear user settings from the memory and restore certain security features that may have been altered previously.
Subsequently, how do I wipe my old IMAC before recycling?
- Shut down your Mac.
- Turn on your Mac and immediately press and Command and R.
- You may be prompted to select a user and log in with the password for that account.
- From here, you’ll be presented with a utilities window.
- Select Macintosh HD from the sidebar.
- Click Erase and input a new name and format.
Similarly, how do I delete unused data from my Mac? Choose Apple menu > About This Mac, click Storage, then click Manage. Click a category in the sidebar: Applications, Music, TV, Messages, and Books: These categories list files individually. To delete an item, select the file, then click Delete.
Considering this, how do I restore my IMAC to factory settings? To reset your Mac, first restart your computer. Then press and hold Command + R until you see the Apple logo. Next, go to Disk Utility > View > View all devices, and choose the top drive. Next, click Erase, fill out the required details, and hit Erase again.
Frequent question, how do I wipe my Mac hard drive before selling it? Just shut down your Mac, and then turn it back on. As soon as you hit the power button, hold down Option + Command + P + R on the keyboard. You can release the keys after about 20 seconds. Once done, your final step is to erase the hard drive and reinstall macOS.
- Back up Your Mac. Before you do anything else, back up your Mac.
- Sign out of iCloud.
- De-authorize Your Mac with the iTunes Store.
- Sign out of Your iMessages Account.
- Reset your Mac’s NVRAM.
- Unpair Bluetooth devices.
- Erase Your Mac’s Drive.
- Install macOS.
How do you delete a file that won’t Delete on a Mac?
Type in “rm -f ” without the quotation marks, and with the space after the f. Then find the file that wont delete, and drag it to the Terminal window, and the path to that item should appear. Double check that this is the thing you want to delete, then press enter.
How do I clean my Mac of junk for free?
- Click on your Mac desktop or a Finder window.
- In the menu bar at the top, click Go.
- Hold down Option. Select the Library folder when it appears.
- Navigate to the Library > Caches folder.
- Delete some or all of the files and folders in the Caches folder.
How do I clean up my old imac?
- Clean up cache. You’ve probably heard “Remove your cache” as a web browser troubleshooting tip.
- Uninstall apps you don’t use.
- Clean out useless duplicates.
- Empty the Trash.
- Reduce clutter.
- Delete large and old files.
- Remove old iOS backups.
- Wipe out Language files.
How do I factory reset my Mac desktop 2021?
- In the Apple menu in the top left corner of the screen, choose Restart.
- As the system is restarting, hold both the Command and R keys on the keyboard at the same time until you see the Recovery Mode window.
- Enter your admin password to confirm the action.
How do I do a factory reset?
- Tap Apps.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Backup and reset.
- Tap Factory data reset.
- Tap Reset Device.
- Tap Erase Everything.
How do I factory reset my iMac 2015?
- Restart the Mac in Recovery Mode (hold down Command and the R key during restart).
- Use Disk Utility to erase the hard drive. Click on Disk Utility > Continue. Select the main volume and click Unmount then Erase).
- Click Reinstall OS X and Continue. Follow the instructions to reinstall Mac OS X.
How do you delete all files on a Mac?
If you want to delete all downloads, simply press “shift” on your keyboard while clicking the first and then last download in the list. You can also hold “Command” + “A” to select all. 4. Right click on the file(s), and then click “Move to trash” from the pop-up menu.
How do I delete a Mac user account?
- On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups. Open Users & Groups preferences for me.
- Select the user or group you want to delete, then click the Remove button (looks like a minus sign) below the list of users.
- Do one of the following:
- Click Delete User.
Can I erase Macintosh HD data?
Use Disk Utility to erase your Mac Select Macintosh HD in the sidebar of Disk Utility. Don’t see Macintosh HD? Click the Erase button in the toolbar, then enter the requested details: Name: Macintosh HD.
Is a 2009 IMAC still good?
Apple considers 2009 iMacs as “Obsolete” and so should you. Many newer applications won’t even load or run on an 11 year old computer. This would include modern web browsers and that would make your computer and personal data at risk.
What can I do with an old imac?
- When is your Mac “too old”?
- Recycle your old Mac with the Apple Trade In program.
- Clean your Mac and get it up to speed.
- Turn your Mac into a network-attached storage system.
- Create an emergency Wi-Fi hotspot.
- Install Linux on your Mac.
- Back up your Mac.
- Deauthorize and sign out of your accounts.