- Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until the startup options window comes up.
- When the Utilities window appears, select Disk Utility.
- In the sidebar, choose Macintosh HD.
- Click the “Erase” button, then select a file system format and enter a name for it.
Also know, how do I clear internal storage on my Mac?
- Music, movies, and other media can use a lot of storage space.
- Delete other files that you no longer need by moving them to the Trash, then emptying the Trash.
- Move files to an external storage device.
- Compress files.
You asked, how do I wipe my Mac hard drive and reuse it? To wipe your mechanical drive, open Disk Utility, which you’ll find in Applications > Utilities. Connect the drive you want to securely delete, then click it in the sidebar. Make sure you click the drive you want to securely delete: you do not want to erase some other hard drive by mistake!
Beside above, how do I delete all my hard drives on Mac?
- Back up any important files.
- In the Disk Utility app on your Mac, select the disk set you want to erase in the sidebar.
- Click the Erase button .
Likewise, how do you wipe a Mac computer clean to sell it? Shut down your Mac, then turn it on and immediately press and hold these four keys together: Option, Command, P, and R. Release the keys after about 20 seconds. This clears user settings from memory and restores certain security features that might have been altered.Type in ~/Library/Caches/ and then click Go. Your system, or library, caches will appear. You can now choose what to delete. Here you can open up each folder and delete unneeded cache files by dragging them to the Trash and then emptying it.
How do I delete the mail app from my Mac?
- Open up Terminal window.
- Go to Applications folder by typing in the appropriate command. The command is cd /Applications/ .
- Type in the next command, which is sudo rm -rf Mail. app/ .
- Hit enter.
- Type in your password. Your Mail app will be deleted.
How do I erase my hard drive fast?
Go to Settings > Update & Security > Recovery, and click Get Started under Reset this PC. You are then asked if you want to keep your files or delete everything. Select Remove Everything, click Next, then click Reset. Your PC goes through the reset process and reinstalls Windows.
How do I permanently erase my hard drive?
- Step 1: Back up your hard-drive data.
- Step 2: Don’t just delete files from your computer.
- Step 3: Use a program to wipe your drive.
- Step 4: Physically wipe your hard drive.
- Step 5: Do a fresh installation of the operating system.
How do I clean up my imac hard drive?
- Clean up cache. You’ve probably heard “Remove your cache” as a web browser troubleshooting tip.
- Uninstall apps you don’t use.
- Clean out useless duplicates.
- Empty the Trash.
- Reduce clutter.
- Delete large and old files.
- Remove old iOS backups.
- Wipe out Language files.
How do I delete on a Mac?
What happens if you delete Macintosh HD?
You won’t lose your own files, or apps that you might have installed. This reinstall just copies a fresh set of your operating system files. Then, restarts, finishes the install with those downloaded files. The install process might take more than 30 minutes, but you should boot back into your hard drive, no harm done.
Can I delete disk images on Mac?
You can safely delete . dmg files. A disk image file (. dmg) is simply an easy, portable structure to transfer an app to you without falling afoul of any internet ‘oddities’ such as compression, splitting etc.
How do you make sure your Mac is backed up?
Make sure your Mac Pro is on the same Wi-Fi network as your external storage device, or connect the storage device to your Mac Pro. Open System Preferences, click Time Machine, then select Back Up Automatically. Select the drive you want to use for backup, and you’re all set.
How do I reset my Mac desktop to factory settings?
To reset your Mac, first restart your computer. Then press and hold Command + R until you see the Apple logo. Next, go to Disk Utility > View > View all devices, and choose the top drive. Next, click Erase, fill out the required details, and hit Erase again.
How do I restore my Mac to factory settings?
- Restart your computer: hold the power button > select Restart when it appears.
- While the computer restarts, hold down the ‘Command’ and ‘R’ keys.
- Once you see the Apple logo appear, release the ‘Command and R keys’
- When you see a Recovery Mode menu, select Disk Utility.
Is it safe to delete application support Mac?
The Application Support folder holds files that some apps need to run. … You can delete this folder, but you should restart your Mac immediately after you do so, since some apps may think certain cache files are still present.