First you’ll need to turn off your iMac. Then press the power button and immediately hold down the Control and R keys until you see the Apple logo or spinning globe icon. Release the keys and shortly afterward you should see the macOS Utilities window appear.
Correspondingly, how do you reset a Mac if you forgot the password? On your Mac, choose Apple menu > Restart, or press the Power button on your computer and then click Restart. Click your user account, click the question mark in the password field, then click the arrow next to “reset it using your recovery key.”
Also, how do I force a factory reset on my iMac? After the iMac shuts down completely but before it begins to restart, hold down the Command (⌘) and R keys at the same time. The Mac will display the macOS Utilities menu, from which you can reinstall Mac OS.
Likewise, how do I bypass password on iMac?
- On your Mac, choose Apple menu > Restart, or press the Power button on your computer and then click Restart.
- Click your user account, click the question mark in the password field, then click the arrow next to “reset it using your Apple ID”.
- Enter an Apple ID and password, then click Next.
Subsequently, how can I get admin access to a Mac without knowing the current password?
- Hold ⌘ + S on startup.
- mount -uw / ( fsck -fy is not needed)
- rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone.
- Go through the steps of creating a new account.
- After logging in to the new account, go to the Users & Groups preference pane.
- Select the old account, press the Reset Password
Select the hard drive on which Mac OS X is installed from the tree list on the left side of the window. Open the “Erase” tab. Select “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)” from the “Format:” drop menu and enter a name for the hard drive in the “Name:” text entry field. Click “Erase…” to clear all of the hard drive’s contents.
- 1 How do I factory reset my iMac 2021?
- 2 How do I factory reset my 2009 iMac?
- 3 Can a locked Mac be unlocked?
- 4 What is the default password for Mac?
- 5 How do I recover my administrator account on Mac?
- 6 How do I remove an administrator from my Mac without a password?
- 7 How do I fix no administrator on Mac?
- 8 How do I reset my 2009 iMac without the password?
- 9 How do I wipe and reset my iMac?
- 10 How do I reset my 2010 iMac to factory settings?
- 11 How do I completely wipe my Mac?
How do I factory reset my iMac 2021?
- In the Apple menu in the top left corner of the screen, choose Restart.
- As the system is restarting, hold both the Command and R keys on the keyboard at the same time until you see the Recovery Mode window.
- Enter your admin password to confirm the action.
How do I factory reset my 2009 iMac?
- Shutdown iMac.
- Unplug power cord from back of iMac.
- Press and hold power button for 20 seconds.
- Restore power cord; power on iMac.
- Immediately on hearing Startup Chime, press and hold Command-Option-P-R keys (⌘⌥ P R)
Can a locked Mac be unlocked?
After you locate your Mac, you can unlock it by entering the passcode that you created when you locked it with Find My. If you can’t remember that passcode, you have three options: Sign in to iCloud.com/find, then select your Mac from the Devices menu. Select Unlock and follow the steps to verify your identity.
What is the default password for Mac?
There is no default password. Either you are in the Setup Assistant in which case it wants you to provide a new password; or, you exited from the Setup Assistant and never assigned a password in which case press RETURN.
How do I recover my administrator account on Mac?
You can recover the admin privileges easily by rebooting into Apple’s Setup Assistant tool. This will run before any accounts have been loaded, and will run in “root” mode, allowing you to create accounts on your Mac. Then, you can recover your admin rights via the new administrator account.
How do I remove an administrator from my Mac without a password?
- boot computer and hold the “apple” key and the “s” key.
- wait for terminal show.
- release keys.
- type without the quotes: “/sbin/mount -uaw”
- press enter.
- type without the quotes: “rm /var/db/.applesetupdone.
- press enter.
- type without the quotes: “reboot”
How do I fix no administrator on Mac?
Reset Admin Password Restart in Recovery Mode (command-r). From the Utilities menu in the Mac OS X Utilities menu, choose Terminal. At the prompt enter “resetpassword” (without the quotes) and press Return. A Reset Password window will pop up.
How do I reset my 2009 iMac without the password?
First you’ll need to turn off your Mac. Then press the power button and immediately hold down the Control and R keys until you see the Apple logo or spinning globe icon. Release the keys and shortly afterwards you should see the macOS Utilities window appear.
How do I wipe and reset my iMac?
Shut down your Mac, then turn it on and immediately press and hold these four keys together: Option, Command, P, and R. Release the keys after about 20 seconds. This clears user settings from memory and restores certain security features that might have been altered.
How do I reset my 2010 iMac to factory settings?
- Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
- When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu.
- Click the Erase tab.
How do I completely wipe my Mac?
- Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until the startup options window comes up.
- When the Utilities window appears, select Disk Utility.
- In the sidebar, choose Macintosh HD.
- Click the “Erase” button, then select a file system format and enter a name for it.