- Ensure you have admin access. At times people have purchased used Macs with a single standard account on them for use, with no password for the admin user.
- Create a new admin user account.
- Delete all old accounts.
- Run general maintenance.
- Optionally reinstall OS X.
You asked, how do I change ownership of an iMac? While it is easy to change the full name associated with the account, there is no way to change an account’s user name. The only way to completely change the administrative account information is to create a new administrator account of your own and then delete the account the previous owner set up for his own use.
Subsequently, how do I reset my second hand iMac? After the iMac shuts down completely but before it begins to restart, hold down the Command (⌘) and R keys at the same time. The Mac will display the macOS Utilities menu, from which you can reinstall Mac OS.
Furthermore, what can I do with a used iMac?
- When is your Mac “too old”?
- Recycle your old Mac with the Apple Trade In program.
- Clean your Mac and get it up to speed.
- Turn your Mac into a network-attached storage system.
- Create an emergency Wi-Fi hotspot.
- Install Linux on your Mac.
- Back up your Mac.
- Deauthorize and sign out of your accounts.
People ask also, how do I remove previous owners from my imac?
- Select System Preferences from the Apple menu, click the Accounts icon, click the Lock icon, and enter your password.
- Select Logout from the Apple menu.
- On your new computer, triple-check that all the files for all accounts on the old machine have been transferred.
- Hold ⌘ + S on startup.
- mount -uw / ( fsck -fy is not needed)
- rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone.
- Go through the steps of creating a new account.
- After logging in to the new account, go to the Users & Groups preference pane.
- Select the old account, press the Reset Password
How do I factory reset my IMAC 2021?
- In the Apple menu in the top left corner of the screen, choose Restart.
- As the system is restarting, hold both the Command and R keys on the keyboard at the same time until you see the Recovery Mode window.
- Enter your admin password to confirm the action.
How do I restore my Mac computer to factory settings?
- Restart your computer: hold the power button > select Restart when it appears.
- While the computer restarts, hold down the ‘Command’ and ‘R’ keys.
- Once you see the Apple logo appear, release the ‘Command and R keys’
- When you see a Recovery Mode menu, select Disk Utility.
How do I factory reset my 2009 IMAC without CD?
Select the hard drive on which Mac OS X is installed from the tree list on the left side of the window. Open the “Erase” tab. Select “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)” from the “Format:” drop menu and enter a name for the hard drive in the “Name:” text entry field. Click “Erase…” to clear all of the hard drive’s contents.
Can I use a Mac mini with my old iMac?
Can you hook up a Mac mini to an old iMac?
The same Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt port can be used as a video input that allows your iMac to serve as a monitor for another Mac. All you need are the proper ports and cables to make the connection between the two Macs.
What can I do with an old iMac 2007?
- Install Linux on your old Mac.
- Make your old Apple laptop a Chromebook.
- Make a network-attached system out of your old Mac.
- Create an emergency Wi-Fi hotspot.
- Sell or recycle your old Mac.
Can you remove activation lock without previous owner?
You can contact Apple Support to turn off Activation Lock without previous owner from your iPhone or iPad if you have proof of ownership of the device.
How do I force a Mac to delete a user?
On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups. If the lock at the bottom left is locked , click it to unlock the preference pane. Select the user or group you want to delete, then click the Remove button (looks like a minus sign) below the list of users.
How do you control click on a Mac?
Control-click on a Mac is similar to right-click on a Windows computer—it’s how you open shortcut (or contextual) menus on a Mac. Control-click: Press and hold the Control key while you click an item. For example, Control-click an icon, a window, the toolbar, the desktop, or another item.
How do I find out what my administrator password is on Mac?
The easiest way to locate the original admin account password is to click on the admin account to select it and click the lock in the lower corner of the screen to unlock the account. From there, you can reset the password using the credentials of the second administrator account.